The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
- About us
- Learning and Teaching
- Accelerated Reader scheme
- Behaviour and Discipline
- Careers Advice
- Collective Worship Statement
- Gifted, Talented & Able
- Learning Development Centre
- Sex Education Policy
- Academy Day & Term Dates
- Expectations of Students
- Extra Curricular
- Millbrook Academy Awards Scheme
- Special Educational Needs
- Student Voice
- Student Welfare
- Trips and Visits
- Y11 Exam and Revision Information
- Year 9 Options
- Sixth Form
- Contact Us
You are hereHome ›
At Millbrook Academy, our mission is to "know every child so that they discover and make the most of their skills and talents".
As an academy, we want our students to be:
- Good communicators
- Able to solve problems
- Able to work as a team
- Positive when dealing with challenge and change
- Responsible for their actions
- Have a 'can do' attitude
The academy was founded in 1967 as the first purpose-built comprehensive school in Gloucestershire. It has recently undergone major refurbishment of the sports facilities and has a brand new astro pitch. The situation of the school, on Mill Lane, is on the edge of open countryside overlooked by the Cotswold Hills. The modern buildings, which include a sports centre, dance studio and swimming pool, occupy an extremely attractive site with extensive playing fields. Planning and funding applications are currently on-going to build a new Science and Vocational Education block.
There is a wide catchment area including Brockworth, Hucclecote, Upton St Leonards, the eastern suburbs, the City of Gloucester and the rural areas to the east extending up onto the Cotswold Hills. Such a large catchment area includes children of all abilities and a considerable variety of socio-economic backgrounds. We are a comprehensive school which is proud to be inclusive.
The facilities of the academy have been provided to cater for this full age and ability range and include:
- Central Learning Resource Centre with over 300 networked PCs across the academy.
- New Science Block with a 'super-lab' big enough to house 120 students
- Post 16 Centre with social and study areas for the students.
- Drama/Music Hall with seating for 400.
- Sports Centre with indoor heated swimming pool, sports hall, gym, dance studio, floodlit astroturf pitch, tennis courts and extensive playing fields.
The curriculum of the academy is broad, balanced and relevant to the changing needs of the individual regardless of age, ability or sex. At Key Stage 3 students will follow a competence curriculum to build on the Y6 experience as well as lessons in Mathematics, English, Science, French (and German in Y8), Design Technology, Art, Physical Education, ICT and Performing Arts.
The Special Needs Department assists in the programme of children who have learning difficulties. A Personal Social and Careers Education (PSCE) programme runs throughout the academy and involves all tutors and tutor groups. Citizenship is co-ordinated through PSCE.
Millbrook is an academy of opportunity.
Jan Scott, Principal
- Sat 18 May 2013 - 10:00am Spring Table Top Sale
- Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 09:00am SEN Induction Morning
- Thu 27 Jun 2013 - 06:30pm Parent/Carer Information Evening For New Year 7 Students
- Thu 04 Jul 2013 - 08:30pm New Year 7 Induction Day (8:40am)
Quote of the Week
- 1 of 12
Word of the Week
The word of the week is:
We welcome all feedback on the academy. If parents would like to suggest ways for us to improve our academy please don't hesitate to contact us either by email (email@example.com) or telephone (01452 863 372).